Digital marketing is an essential component of a successful medical practice. By using the following best practices, medical practices can effectively reach and connect with patients and referral sources online.
Digital marketing for Medical Practices – 10 Best practices
- Create/Update Google Business Profile: Having an up-to-date and optimized Google Business Profile is crucial for being found in local search results and on Google Maps. When potential patients search under a category such as “dentist” or “orthopedic surgeon,” local listings will appear first, even before the practice’s website. Optimizing the business for local search ensures that the listing is highly visible and looks professional.
- Have a Great Website: A patient-centered website is the primary digital destination for potential patients to learn about a medical practice and its services. The website should be easy to navigate and provide relevant information such as contact details, insurance information, and appointment scheduling. It should also have a security certificate, be mobile-friendly, and follow best practices for SEO. In addition, including information about conditions and treatment options can help attract and convert patients.
- Write Patient-Centered Doctor Profiles: Patients want to know, like, and trust their healthcare providers. By writing doctor profiles that focus on how the doctors can solve patients’ problems, rather than just listing their credentials and experience, medical practices can help patients relate more easily to the doctors and build trust. For example, instead of saying “Dr. Smith has been practicing medicine for 30 years,” a more patient-centered approach would be “Dr. Smith has been helping people sleep better and live happier lives for 30 years.”
- Seek Media Exposure and Consider Newsjacking: Earned media, or unpaid mentions by news organizations, can be a valuable way to promote a medical practice. To improve the chances of getting media coverage, practices can consider the timing of their pitch and look for opportunities to be interviewed or quoted as an expert on topics that align with the practice’s expertise. Newsjacking, or finding current events and relating them back to the practice through an article or blog post, is another way to earn media attention and improve SEO.
- Include Photography on the Website: Friendly faces and a welcoming environment can help improve the patient experience and build trust. Including images of the office staff, doctors, and the interior and exterior of the building on the website can go a long way in creating a positive impression.
- Review and Update Practice & Physician Listings: It’s important for medical practices to be listed on external sites such as Google, Healthgrades, Vitals, and insurance provider directories, and to make sure the information is accurate and up-to-date. This helps ensure that patients and referral sources can easily find the practice and contact it for appointments.This is often part of a reputation management package.
- Use Social Media to Connect with Patients and Share Useful Information: Social media is a great way for medical practices to connect with patients and share news and updates, as well as useful health information. It’s important to be active on the platforms where the target audience is most likely to be found and to interact with patients and respond to questions and concerns in a timely manner.
- Invest in Search Engine Optimization (SEO): By using targeted keywords in website content and metadata, and implementing local SEO tactics, medical practices can improve their visibility in search results and attract more patients. The #1 SEO “Tactic” is actually great, strategic content marketing. (read: The Truth about Website SEO for Medical Practices)
- Use Paid Advertising to Reach a Wider Audience: Pay-per-click (PPC) advertising and retargeting can be effective ways for medical practices to reach a wider audience and increase the reach of their digital marketing efforts. PPC allows practices to bid on keywords related to their services, while retargeting shows ads to users who have visited the practice’s website but have not yet converted.However, PPC advertising is not a good investment for all practices. An expert can help you decide is PPC advertising is worth the cost for your practice. They will take into account the type of practice, your current patient base, and your local competition. A new urgent care facility may need PPC ads to get patients in the door. A well-established urology practice with little to no competition may be wasting money on PPC ads.
- Analyze and Track the Effectiveness of Digital Marketing Efforts: Using analytics tools to track website traffic, social media engagement, and campaign results can help medical practices identify what is working well and what may need to be adjusted in order to improve the effectiveness of their digital marketing strategy. By regularly analyzing and tracking the results of digital marketing efforts, practices can make data-driven decisions to maximize their return on investment.
Digital marketing is a key component of a successful medical practice, allowing it to reach and connect with patients and referral sources online. By implementing these best practices medical practices can effectively promote their services and build trust with their target audience.
Digital marketing for Medical Practices – Q&A
Q: Why is digital marketing important for medical practices?
A: Digital marketing allows medical practices to reach and connect with patients and referral sources online. It helps practices increase their visibility and improve their search engine rankings, as well as provide a platform for sharing news and updates and interacting with patients. With the increasing use of the internet and social media for healthcare information, digital marketing is an essential part of a successful medical practice.
Q: How can medical practices optimize their Google Business Profile?
A: To optimize their Google Business Profile, medical practices should make sure to include accurate and relevant information about the practice, such as services offered, office hours, location, and contact details. They should also make sure to use relevant keywords in the business description and add photos and videos to the profile to make it more visually appealing. Finally, they should encourage patients to leave reviews on the profile to improve the practice’s ratings and rankings.
Q: What makes a great website for a medical practice?
A: A great website for a medical practice is patient-centered, easy to navigate, and provides useful information about the practice and its services. It should also have a security certificate, be mobile-friendly, and follow best practices for SEO. In addition, including information about conditions and treatment options can help attract and convert patients.
Q: How can medical practices use social media to connect with patients?
A: Medical practices can use social media to connect with patients and share news and updates about the practice, as well as useful health information. It’s important to be active on the platforms where the target audience is most likely to be found and to interact with patients and respond to questions and concerns in a timely manner. Practices can also use social media to promote events and special offers, and to showcase the practice’s culture and values.